The purpose of this policy statement is to recognize and endorse the Cactus & Succulent Society of America Conservation Code and encourage members of the Chinle Cactus & Succulent Society to observe the following principles for conserving native succulent plants.
- Actively discourage illegal field collecting of entire native plants by all members. Field collecting native plants, seeds or cuttings must be consistent with all pertinent laws and regulations.
- Prohibit field collecting of entire native plants during any Chinle C&SS sponsored field trip or activity unless such activities are
- to salvage plants imminently threatened with destruction from land development or other habitat disturbance,
- to acquire plants for a Chinle C&SS supported public display garden
- provided that written authorization by the appropriate jurisdiction or landowner has been obtained.
- Prohibit the exhibition or selling of entire field collected plants at any event or activity sponsored by Chinle C&SS shall be prohibited.
- Encourage acquisition of native plants through the purchase of seeds, cuttings, or entire plants from reputable growers and nurseries.
- Encourage native plant conservation through the propagation and sharing of seeds, cuttings and offsets.
- Seek opportunities to promote conservation of native plants by
- providing periodic reminders of the Chinle C&SS conservation principles in newsletters, at meetings and during field trips or other activities, and
- disseminating information about legal and appropriate sources for obtaining seeds, cuttings and entire plants.
Adopted January 28, 2003
Updated June 3, 2013
Updated January 16, 2017